I've thought of a new and painful torture for most of us (especially for us guys) to improve our flexibility, and it's called stretching. Here's a few pointers how we can conduct ourselves us we execute the punishment of attempted leg-splits and toe-touching in class or the privacy of our homes.
1. Stretch daily. Make it consistent: be it just waking from bed or sitting in front of the TV - there's always an opportunity to stretch; the question is, "Do i want to?"
2. Vary the types of stretches and maintain the position at least 30 secs. Let's build flexibility throughout the entire body.
3. Maintain a straight back for a deeper stretch. Do not round your back or hunch. Stretch safely: do not snap to reach further.
4. Breathe as you hold the stretching position. Control the breathing: inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Your muscles need the oxygen to endure the stress.
5. A ballet barre helps. It helps you stretch and also allows you to figure out your weight and balance distribution.
6. Patience and discipline. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't do splits just simply after a week or a month of stretching unless your jean-claude van demme tied to a coconut tree.
Hope you guys can think up of a 'stretch schedule' and keep to it. And i hope you guys anticipate the next stretch-filled activities in class. :)